A day of decisions - April 17 (first half)

I wanted to be ready when Dr. Robison did his rounds and so I got up and washed my face and put on my make up.   I couldn't eat breakfast until we had a decision from Dr. Robison in case we decided to do the c-section.  Baby A was still very breech - so the option for a vaginal delivery was off the table.  Shane went to work and was waiting for me to call him with an update.  Dr. Robison came and sat with me.  He said that he was very worried and had consulted with 5 different doctors about the situation and about baby b dropping off the growth curve.  I told him that I wondered what was the upside to waiting until Friday to do the c-section if baby b was in danger.  He wanted me to talk with Dr. Jenkins (NICU doctor) about the risks of babies born at 34 weeks and 4 days gestational and then decide from there.  He wanted me to think about it and pray about it and if we felt like we should wait then he would try his best to support us to make that happen.  But he felt like we should do the c-section that day.   I told him that I already thought we should do it since the risk was so scary for baby b - but would talk to him.  We determined that unless there was some downside from Dr. Jenkins (Robison had made arrangement for Jenkins to come talk to me) that we would do the c-section sometime late that afternoon (like 4:30pm) and so if I hurried I could eat breakfast (which was really important to me at the time - I was starving!!). 

Dr. Jenkin's came down and consulted with me.  He told me all the statistics about the babies being born that early (all seemed pretty positive) and that they may have to give the babies surfactant or put them on the c-pap machine but probably not the ventilator since I had received the steroid injections at week 25.  He was very kind and informative.  I asked him if there would be any major upside to waiting 3 days to do the c-section (and he said no).  I asked him if I was his wife and these were his twins if he would do the c-section today.  He said "I would have taken them last week".  So our decision was confirmed.  We were having babies today!!!

I called Shane and he said he would get off work at noon - go home and change and come up.   I called both sets of parents and Anna to inform them.  I called Ruth to see if she could come and be in the operating room with us.  I wanted her to stay with me while Shane went with the babies - so I wouldn't be left alone.  She made arrangements with work to be there. 

I took a long and leisurely shower (I figured it might be the last long shower I would be able to take in a long time).  I even shaved my legs.  Washed and blew-dry my hair and tried to relax.  I was tired from not sleeping much the night before.

Shane came to the hospital once he got off work.  He brought some essentials to be ready for the arrivals of Baby A and Baby B.



Grandpa Romrell came to visit me before the c-section.  This is a horrible photo of the both of us - but it is the only one that we have.  Garth and Amy came to visit and well Michelle Harris, Anna and Karen and my mom.  Cami Romrell came to visit and brought me a little gift from a girl in her office that has been following (through Cami) our story as well as a bread-pudding-bar from Great Harvest.  I couldn't eat it then - but I did eat it a couple of days later in the middle of the night while pumping.  It was delicious and I wish I had more at this moment!


Stevan Sargent and Cole Williams came up to the hospital (Stevan works across the street and Cole works down the hall) and helped Shane give me a blessing prior to surgery.  It is very nice and appreciated to have so many worthy Priesthood holders in our family and circle of influence.

Just before the appointed time for surgery - Ruth got there and she and Shane changed into their outfits and I got fitted with the special pump socks that keep circulation going and blood clots at bay as well as the IV and I drank the disgusting acid neutralizer.  The rest they would do in the O.R. (catheter and spinal block).   


This final belly profile pose is a horrible quality photo - but the only one we have!



We had some great support and visitors.  I hope I'm not forgetting anyone - It was an overwhelming moment and I was covering for my nervousness and anxiety by trying to be funny.  Those people included in our support team just before we went in were Anna and Byron and Karen.  Rachel and her kids were there and my mom and dad walked in (my dad gave my a big hug and kiss and actually started to get emotional.)  My mom started tearing up as I was walking out and I told her she was more emotional than I was!  I felt like I had a full audience as I walked out of that room and across the hall into the operating room.  I was glad that the nurse gave me a bathrobe to wear to cover the slit in the back of my hospital gown.  I felt scared and nervous and I wonder if that is what the babies felt as they left a different team of family support on the other side of the veil as they officially entered mortality.  I can imagine people who have loved us and gone on before us anxious to help them be on their way.  I imagine that if it was permitted and possible that Mark Andrew would be there as well as Grandpa Sargent and Grandpa Call.  Maybe Uncle Newel gave Sargent Slade some basketball tips and told him how to properly hit a golf ball.  And while I didn't get a chance to know them I would image that Bertie Cole and Grandma Marie would want to make sure they had a fine farewell for their trip.   I was so grateful for a good support system.


1 comment:

  1. I forgot about the nasty acid reflux drink until just now!

    ReplyDelete