Bed Rest at 25 Weeks

Last Wednesday we went to our regular doctor's appointment.  We were almost 25 weeks pregnant and we were looking forward to another ultrasound and knew that we would be changing up to an appointment every two weeks - instead of monthly.   It was fun to see the babies and our little boy is still breech but our baby girl had turned and was head down - which was no surprise.   Several times a day I can feel that head pushing down over my hip joint and you can "feel" the head with your hand.  Crazy!  I have had - since my first appointment a fear of "incompitant cervix".  My mom had a still born baby with that being the main reason as did several of my maternal aunts.  They said that it wasn't hereditary and not to worry - but I do have them check the length of the cervix at each ultrasound.  It has been gradually getting shorter.  Dr. Robison told me that 25mm or more was "normal".  This time when they checked it had gone from 32mm (in January) to 14mm and 11mm when I bare-down.  (Is that the correct spelling of bare in this useage?).  Also - last month the differential growth rate of the babies was 10.5% and Robinson told us that so long as it was under 20% there wasn't anything to worry about.  This appointment the differential growth had increased to 22.5%.  Our son is 1 pound 13 ounces and our little girl is 1 pound 7 ounces.  For now they were just going to continue to watch it more closely.  Since each baby has it's own placenta I don't thing they are worried about Twin to Twin Transfusion - and it could be simply that genetically this big brother is just bigger. 

So to combat the cervix thinning out we have been put on "extreme bed rest".  Which means that I can get up to use the bathroom and I can take a shower every other day.   I have always thought that laying in bed and doing nothing for a few days sounds pretty dreamy!  But - when you shouldn't get up to do anything and the survival of these two precious bundles in depending on me to be a rule-follower (not my best strength) it has been really challenging.  I hadn't felt that I was overdoing it but now I am trying to let people do every little thing for me.  It is kind of depressing not to get ANYTHING done during the day - no endorphins are being produced as I do nothing and that combined with still being uncomfortable and being scared for our babies is challenging.  Our families have been great to step up and come and feed me and make meals and visit and do laundry and unload the dishwasher, etc.    My mother-in-law, Karen, and sister/friend, Anna, have set up a calendar to provide lots of coverage when Shane is on 12 hours shifts (and next week when he is in Boise for POST all week).  It was sweet to have my husband (and since then my mom and Anna) blow-dry my hair while I lay on the couch.  Easton and Savanna and Mitch have come over for some company and help.  The ward sent the priests over to bring the Sacrament.  Some friends have brought lunch and I've had a lot of people reach out to talk, say hello and offer help.  It is challenging to accept this much help - but we so appreciate the love and support we feel from our family and friends.   Last night we had the Sargent's and  Beck's bring over treats they had made for FHE,  Yummy!

Anna picked up some stuff for me to have a Valentine's Dinner for my Valentine tonight - I appreciate her help!  She also brought the cutest Valentine's Breakfast this morning.  In my effort to be festive I have on a pink maternity jacket.

Also - after talking with my Aunt Karleen - she is an RN in the NICU at the hospital - I had our ob/gyn set up an appointment for me to see a perinatalogist.  My appointmnt is on the 27th if February.  They will do their own ultrasounds and just be sure about the well-being of the twins.  This will be in addition to the coverage from Dr. Robison - who I really like. 

Wish us luck on the staying power of the length of my cervix! 

1 comment:

  1. Sara, Sara, Sara...hang in there! I was on bed rest with Will and Quincy at 32 wks which is wimpy compared to 25 weeks but I feel for you. Keep letting people help you - they love you and you are allowing them to provide service and get blessings! And like you said, you will do anything for your babies. Try not to worry too much. xoxo

    ReplyDelete